This guide was designed solely for informational purposes for Georgian College students, faculty & staff.
All other users are encouraged to check and confirm the information with their institution.
This site is prepared by library staff and is not reviewed by legal counsel.
Your Library User ID is the number under the barcode on your student card. Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the same number.
Databases off campus
Place books on hold
Renew checkouts online
Book group study room
Library Login Help
Press 1 for Customer Service
Copyright Help for Faculty & Staff
Copyright & You
The ACCC Fair Dealing Policy allows you to copy a short excerpt of a copyright protected work:
- up to 10% of a copyright-protected work (including a literary work, musical score, sound recording, and an audiovisual work)
- one chapter from a book
- a single article from a periodical
- an entire artistic work (including a painting, print, photograph, diagram, drawing, map, chart, and plan) from a copyright-protected work containing other artistic works
- an entire newspaper article or page
- an entire single poem or musical score from a copyright-protected work containing other poems or musical scores
- an entire entry from an encyclopedia, annotated bibliography, dictionary or similar reference work
No copies may be made of the following:
- Unpublished works
- Proprietary workbooks, work cards, assignment sheets, tests or examination papers
- Instruction manuals
- Newsletters with restricted circulation to a fee paying clientele
- Business cases which are made available for purchase
Ready, Set, Go
Good to Go
- Library databases (includes articles and video streaming)
- Books on Library Reserve
- Articles on Library Reserve (that meet copying guidelines)
- Works in public domain
- Creative Commons, Flickr, Pixabay
Canadian Copyright Act
and SCC decisions
- Scan and upload articles or book chapter to Blackboard
- Copy of an article/book chapter for each student in class (meets copying guidelines)
- Upload PowerPoint slideshow with images to Blackboard
- Modify or adapt an image
- Show DVD in class
- Individual created mash-up for non-commercial purpose
- Link to a website, blog or wiki
Ask for Library Assistance
- Copying more than copying guidelines
- Requesting permission from publisher or copyright owner
- Recording a webinar
- Library Subject Specialists assistance with readings or course material
- Anything else...Please ask!
YouTube and Copyright
Best practices recommend YouTube videos posted by the copyright owner (or with the permission of the copyright owner, by a reliable source) be used in the classroom. Remember to cite your source! The video below may help explain!
Copyright Training Modules
Ontario Colleges have put together a set of training videos/modules to help you familiarize yourself with the new copyright laws & procedures. All faculty are encouraged to review these modules.
Modules are available through the Halogen Learning System:
*You will need to login with your Georgian College credentials.
From the dropdown menu select the heading Learning at Georgian.
Type "Copyright" in the search box.
8 modules will display, in order for your selection.
chat loading... if this message persists, please try reloading your page.