Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
APA 7th Edition
This guide is representative of the 7th edition Publication Manual of APA and focuses on a student paper structure.
APA examples are not exhaustive and focus on referencing and citations. Assistance from your professor and/or Writing Centre is suggested for clarification.
Users are responsible for interpretation of APA style guidelines and to seek further assistance when necessary.
Effective September 2020.
What are Data Sets, Software, & Tests?
- collection of data (e.g. Vividata)
- supports research through validation of results
- secondary analyses of public archived data
- original data identified through research
- citations not required for common software and apps, such as MS Office products, Twitter
- reference list entries and in-text citations required for content you have paraphrased or quoted
- software and apps with a limited distribution require a reference list entry and in-text citations
- includes tests, scales and inventories
- scales are standardized criteria to measure characteristics eg. Likert scale
- tests are created using scales e.g. psychometric tests
- inventories are used to measure traits and tendencies such as personality, learning styles
- requires a citation for its supporting literature if available, if not, cite the test itself