Skip to Main Content
APA 7th Edition
This guide is representative of the 7th edition Publication Manual of APA and focuses on a student paper structure.
APA examples are not exhaustive and focus on referencing and citations. Assistance from your professor and/or Writing Centre is suggested for clarification.
Users are responsible for interpretation of APA style guidelines and to seek further assistance when necessary.
Effective September 2020.
What are Data Sets, Software, & Tests?
- collection of data (e.g. Vividata)
- supports research through validation of results
- secondary analyses of public archived data
- original data identified through research
- includes artificial intelligence generators like ChatGPT and others
- citations not required for common software and apps, such as MS Office products, Twitter
- reference list entries and in-text citations required for content you have paraphrased or quoted
- software and apps with a limited distribution require a reference list entry and in-text citations
- includes tests, scales and inventories
- scales are standardized criteria to measure characteristics eg. Likert scale
- tests are created using scales e.g. psychometric tests
- inventories are used to measure traits and tendencies such as personality, learning styles
- requires a citation for its supporting literature if available, if not, cite the test itself
chat loading... if this message persists, please try reloading your page.